Seminar on how data science is helping to improve performance in (elite) sports.
- Iwan Spekenbrink - Team Sunweb
- Pieter Zwart - Voetbal International
- Auke Damstra - Sport Data Valley
In order to keep on improving their performance, elite athletes and aspiring talents need to look beyond just their physical capacities; they need to use data! Lots of scientific and practical challenges will need to be tackled for this to succeed: Can new types of data be gathered that will produce new insights in performance? How can data be visualized so that it can be optimally used for coaching and self-improvement? What technologies can capture new phenomena, or automate the gathering of data?
What to expect
- The latest insights into the development of sports data science research
- The added value of interdisciplinary collaboration between universities and the
collaboration with companies, federations and commercial teams
- Meet the data scientists of Sport Data Center
- Explore opportunities for future collaboration
Attendees will experience an exciting keynote talk by Chief Editor of Voetbal International Pieter Zwart on How to bridge the gap between sports data and sports practice. Next to this, a range of different project results will be shared by researchers from Delft, Amsterdam and Leiden, cooperating with leading cycling teams, KNLTB (tennis), KNZB (swimming) and KNSB (speed skating). Moreover, there will be demos and posters where you can explore the projects in a more interactive setting.
- Date: Monday 14 January
- Time: Plenary programme 13.00 -18:00 (incl. drinks)
- Location: TU Delft ‘De Mekelzalen’, Mijnbouwstraat 120
- The seminar is public and free of charge
Take a look at official event website for additional information and registration.